Chicken Makhani (Butter Chicken)
Loaded with butter and flavor. India's most loved recipe. Best served with naan/garlic naan.
access_time 75 minutes
local_dining 6 servings
- 4 teaspoon neutral oil (like vegetable or canola)
- ½ bunch cilantro (stems removed)
- ⅔ cup chicken stock (low-sodium or homemade)
- 3 pound chicken thighs (skinless, bone-in)
- 3 tablespoon almonds almonds (ground, or finely chopped)
- 1 ½ teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup cream
- salt (Kosher to taste)
- 2 red chiles (like Anaheim, or 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced)
- 2 tomatoes (medium-size, diced)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoon ginger (fresh, peeled and grated or finely diced)
- 4 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 onions (medium-size yellow, peeled and diced)
- ¼ pound unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon cumin (ground)
- 2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 ½ tablespoon turmeric (ground)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ cup full-fat greek yogurt
1. Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala and cumin in a large bowl.
2. Put the chicken in, and coat with the marinade.
3. Cover, and refrigerate (for up to a day).
4. In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter in the oil until it starts to foam.
5. Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent.
6. Add the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds, and cook until the onions start to brown.
7. Add the cinnamon stick, tomatoes, chiles and salt, and cook until the chiles are soft, about 10 minutes.
8. Add the chicken and marinade to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes, then add the chicken stock.
9. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes.
10. Stir in the cream and tomato paste, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Add the almonds, cook for an additional 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
12. Garnish with the cilantro leaves.