Healthy chickpeas with desi flavors
access_time 30 minutes
local_dining 2 servings
- 1 teaspoon cilantro leaves (fresh, for garnish, or more to taste)
- 1 chickpeas (15 ounce can)
- water as needed
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves (, or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chile pepper (green, seeded and chopped (optional))
- 4 clove garlic (, chopped, or more to taste)
- 1 ginger (1 inch) piece fresh, peeled and chopped)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
1. Grind onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, and chile pepper together in a food processor into a paste.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Fry bay leaves in hot oil until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Pour the paste into the skillet and cook until the oil begins to separate from the mixture and is golden brown in color, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Season the mixture with chili powder, coriander, powder, gram masala, turmeric, and salt; cook and stir until very hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Stir enough water into the mixture to get a thick gravy; bring to a boil and stir chickpeas into the gravy.
7. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the chickpeas are heated through, 5 to 7 minutes.
8. Garnish with cilantro.