Kathal Sabji (Jackfruit Curry)
One of the most underrated dishes cooked with Jackfruit and spices. Best served with roti or naan.
access_time 60 minutes
local_dining 4 servings
- 4 green chili (hari mirch) (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped fresh)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 jackfruit ((20 ounce) cans jackfruit, cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder (red)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (ground)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric (ground)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes (large, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 4 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoon ginger (grated fresh)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Cook and stir cumin seeds until they sizzle, about 30 seconds.
3. Stir in green chile peppers, ginger, and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add onion and sugar; cook and stir until onion is almost browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Stir tomatoes, tomato paste, turmeric, coriander, and red chile powder into the saucepan.
6. Cook until flavors combine, about 15 minutes.
7. Transfer onion and tomato mixture to a food processor; process into a smooth paste.
8. Pour paste back into the saucepan.
9. Add jackfruit; cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
10. Stir in garam masala and salt.
11. Serve garnished with cilantro.