Protein packed chickpeas in a tomato based curry. Best served with paratha.
access_time 90 minutes
local_dining 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or other vegetable)
- rice (optional)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (minced)
- chickpeas (2 15-ounce cans, drained)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander (ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or as needed)
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tomatoes (large, chopped)
- 1 chili (small Thai bird, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- 2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil and add onion.
2. Sauté until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic, ginger and chili, and sauté until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and 1/4 cup water.
5. Cover and cook until tomatoes are very soft, about 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
6. Purée mixture in blender or food processor until smooth.
7. Return to pan and place over medium heat.
8. Add paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, the garam masala, turmeric and lemon juice.
9. Add chickpeas and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
10. Cover and simmer until sauce is thick and chickpeas are soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
11. Stir pan about every 10 minutes, adding water as needed (up to 1 1/2 cups) to prevent burning.
12. When ready to serve, sauce should be thick.
13. If necessary, uncover pan and allow sauce to reduce for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until desired consistency.
14. Stir in cilantro, adjust salt as needed and serve with cooked rice, if desired.